Personal Support Worker
Place of Employment:
Client homes, work sites outside of the client home as required and other work sites as required by Paramount Healthcare Services management.
Paramount Healthcare Services Director, Administrator, Manager, Supervisor or Nurse-in-Charge.
The PSW is a front line position acting as a representative of Paramount Healthcare Services and providing the services offered by the company. The PSW duties are not limited to those listed as the position has a wide scope of duties and at times dependent on the client and always under the auspices of the company. The PSW will mostly work independently of co-workers or supervisors and therefore must balance good judgement and initiative along with the policies of the company.
It should be noted that emphasis is for the PSW to involve the client in the care program to help provide the client with the basic standards of healthy living as follows:
- Physical Activity
- Mental Stimulation
- Personal Contact
This position may require various shifts at various times (including nights, weekends, and sleep-over) in one or more work sites.
The following list of duties is a guideline of possible duties to be performed independently or as a group of duties in the course of working with the client. The PSW duties are not limited to those listed.
One of the most important aspects of Paramount Healthcare Services will be providing customers with a strong sense of self-esteem and independence. Taking a genuine interest in the client, their life and their environment will help create true sense of companionship. Whether it is playing a favourite board game or card game, reading, taking a stroll or visiting with friends and neighbours, companionship provides the depth of our services.
- Housekeeping, Laundry, and Pet Care
The PSW will provide dusting, washing hardwood and flooring, vacuuming carpets and furniture, changing bedding, scrubbing the bathroom; pre-washing, washing, drying, ironing and folding laundry; defrosting refrigerators/freezers; cleaning ovens/stoves and china cabinets; caring for house plants; taking out garbage and general tidying of living spaces as required or requested. It also includes caring for pets including grooming, feeding, exercising, walking, playing, cleaning up after the pet.
- Personal Care
This include assisting with grooming needs such as hair care, shaving, cleaning teeth/dentures; supervising or assisting with tub baths, showers, sponge baths, and bed baths; assisting with dressing and undressing; assisting with mobilization activities including turning, transferring, exercising, and walking; assisting with toilet and/or commode needs; assisting with eating or feeding; monitoring vital signs such as blood pressures, pulse and respiration. It also includes reminding the client to take their prescription medications. It does not include cutting of toenails or fingernails and changing dressings.
- Kitchen WorkGrocery shopping, preparing menus and meals, cooking, baking, serving, assisting with eating, washing and drying dishes and general tidying up is included.
- Transportation and EscortA PSW may drive their car and transport a client to an appointment or errand if the PSW has written authorization from the company to do so. The PSW may also escort the client to appointments or errands providing a helping hand or shoulder to lean on.
- Current certificate in standard first aid and CPR.
- Current recognized PSW or HCA training certificate.
- Valid driver’s licence and reliable transportation
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Compassionate, patient and caring nature.
- Able to work in a stressful environment.
- Must be physically and mentally fit to handle the demands of care giving.
The PSW will be required to maintain a safe working environment for themselves and their clients.
There may be emergency situations where the PSW will have to react quickly with sound judgement.
The scope of duties described in this document may not include all duties to be performed by the PSW and is subject to change.